Saturday, October 24, 2009

Brinzela ida hira? (“How much are the aubergines”?)


Sitting in my room, kicking back with a cool drink after cooking my first meal with local veges bought from the street markets using a little one element hot plate! Have been in Dili for almost a week now and am getting my bearings (well kind of!) – I walked back from the hospital without getting lost today so that was pretty impressive for me. All these little things to write about but I’ll try to just pick a few.

Was invited to an opening ceremony at the hospital for the nursing diploma 3 students on Thursday. The ceremony started late (Timor timing!) which gave me the opportunity to talk to Senhor Domingas a lovely old man who used to be a nurse at the National Hospital during Portuguese time but was then imprisoned for 15 years during Indonesian occupation. He had help escaping to Portugal where he lived for 15 years before returning back home to Timor recently. I could see that it was painful for him to talk about where he was from or his family (his father and brothers died in the hills during that time) so we moved onto talking about the nursing students whom he is now teaching. Although Senhor Domingas’s specific story is unique, stories like his are unfortunately common here.

At the ceremony these gorgeous little Timorese girls sang the National Anthem and this other lovely song (see video attached) – really sweet voices. Then this other dude was called up to sing a song that had everyone very excited. I didn’t get to find out what was so special about that song or the man but it was great to see everyone clapping and singing along! I’ve been to a couple of opening ceremonies before (they are common here – part of a tradition) but this was the first one with singing – very cool.

I arrived in Dili at the same time as the newest batch of Australian Youth Volunteers so I have been invited along to a couple of their events and briefings. They’re an enthusiastic bunch and it’s been nice meeting them and hearing their plans for their time here. I also happened to bump into Moises (one of the Timorese Fellows we brought across to Sydney this year for 3 months) while wandering along the Esplanada looking for a place to have a quick lunch the other day, (it’s a small place obviously). He practically leapt out at me when he saw me passing his grandfather’s house! Totally unexpected since I thought he was in Maubisse but great to see a familiar face (and smiling as Moises always is!!).

Went for a run today along the beach front. I waited until after 5pm but still broke into a sweat almost immediately. It was still so hot and not conducive at all for running if you ask me! However I persevered and managed to survive a workout. Now you would think that being away for 7 weeks would exempt me from serious exercise... but then you don’t know my trainer Luke! Luke has devised a series of exercises for me to do while here – he even put them on a dvd which shows him doing the exercises so that I can’t even pretend that I forgot how to do something!! AND (yes there is more) he even bought me a Swiss ball to take!! Pumping up the Swiss ball with that tiny foot pump was enough of an effort really and should have been included as part of my routine!! Luke you’ll be happy to know that the Swiss Ball is going to this great rehab place in Klibur Domin when I leave.

Okay I have rattled on enough – time to sign off.

Adeus!

d x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess we have another interpreter! Mad day today here getting everything finalised before departure. Good we have the weekend. Video of singing is great!