Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hau iha (I'm here)......

Boanoiti!
Arrived in Dili last night after a pretty uneventful day of travelling (unless you call spraying perfume in my face accidently in Darwin duty free an “incident” - I’m so unco sometimes!). Got met at the airport by someone from the National hospital although for a while there I did think they had forgotten about me– but it was just traffic which was relief!

It’s pretty hot and humid here – I think that the laundry is going to get great business out of me as I am going through my meagre supply of clothes quite rapidly! Had the day to myself today so I had time to orient myself. However as most of you will already know, my sense of direction is awful and there is no way I’ll be able to orient myself in 7 weeks never mind one day!!! People seem to assume I am Timorese until I open my mouth – I spent a lot of time looking blankly at people as they rattled on at high speed in tetum. Have booked myself in for an intensive Tetum language beginner’s course all of next week (to start with at least) – hoping this at this will help me say more than “Diak a lae” “Obrigada” and count to ten!!!

Have a meeting first thing tomorrow at the National Hospital and then a briefing with an Embassy person – not entirely sure what that involves but it does sound intriguing doesn’t it?!
Adeus
D xx

5 comments:

Adz in Syd said...

Well thought i would comment on your Blog.. YAY you are writing a blog.. Now i want to see pictures...

Hope you got your Ipod all worked out.. Miss you...
Good luck with the learning to speak in tongue..

Unknown said...

hi Random Adventurer!

Was searching for intensive Tetum courses and your blog came up.

I starting an agricultural project for smallholder farmers - and i want to do an intensive Tetum course in Dili in December to get me up to speed to work in East timor.

where are you doing your intensive Tetum course?

dmb said...

Hey Adam - you'll noticew in my latest blog entry I've added a video - impressed?!

Hey Pete - I'm doing my course at the Dili Institute of Technology. It's got a good reputation and does beginners thru to advanced. The person to call when you get here is Helio on 7369768. Good luck with your project!

new2this said...

Hey Dilhani, Love the blog.... and the video!! I am looking forward to your next installment. Deb x

Unknown said...

way to go little sis. now can you do a blog for me and Polo?